Working in a charity setting often means there’s very little time to keep up with the news, let alone the trends in our sector. Chasing funding, managing programs, corralling volunteers… it doesn’t always leave a tonne of time to read every last article on the internet about our sector.
I don’t have to tell you that it’s important to do this stuff. But I’l willing to bet your inbox is swimming with emails that you shove in a “To Read Later” folder.
Let’s resolve that 2018 is the year we get on top of those ever-evolving trends and best practices. And let’s do it more simply. Rather than signing up for every newsletter on the planet, choose the ones with the most impact. Ones that you’ll actually take the time to read.
Here’s a list of my favourite ways to find out the latest in charitable sector news:
- NP Engage is a resource for nonprofit best practices.
- Hilborn Charity eNews is a free weekly newsletter featuring news, trends and tips for Canada’s nonprofit sector.
- Join LinkedIn groups dedicated to nonprofit jobs and news. You can also follow LinkedIn’s curated news streams such as “Social Impact”, or key influencers to get charitable sector news and opinions in your LinkedIn feed.
- Imagine Canada has a great blog filled with practical tips and nonprofit trends.
- If you haven’t already, sign up for the Charity Savant free weekly newsletter. You’ll receive our latest blog posts and news. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
Co-Founder, Charity Savant
Ashleigh Saith is a fundraiser and nonprofit leader with years of experience working in small- and mid-sized nonprofits. She’s passionate about nonprofit marketing and leadership, and found herself with a shocking knack for finance. While out running, Ashleigh thinks about new ways that Charity Campus can help nonprofit staff and volunteers grow, learn, and connect with each other.